Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cruising over the Sea Link...

Sometimes I doubt if I actually live in Mumbai; and when I say this, most of my friends would scream "Yeah! You don't!!" because they don't consider Navi Mumbai to be a part of Mumbai. I defend myself saying (almost screaming as loudly as them) Navi Mumbai is Mumbai as much as any place else, but then I have to admit that I do agree with them a little bit. It's just so far away from everything else in the city that it takes an entire day and a whole lot of planning to go and get something done.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about already, last year, Mumbai got another jewel on its crown in the form of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link. And I hadn't even seen it - until May, this year. Two days ago, I got grabbed the chance of driving through it. I would've loved to cruise over it on my scooter, but unfortunately, two-wheelers aren't allowed on the bridge.

It was somewhere between two and three in the afternoon and we had just finished lunch at 'Mainland China' in Worli (which is not all that great by the way. I know that Chinese food is not supposed to be spicy but then even bland food can have flavour!!!!  I prefer the Chinese food at 'Aromas of China' even though it is more expensive. Even plain fried rice was so yummy!! But this post isn't about that... So moving on...) I wanted to go to Bandra to meet my sister who needed to buy some stuff. We walked up to the bus stop near Haji Ali and waited in the scorching sun for almost five whole minutes before we decided to take a cab and get it over with, for the fear of getting baked!

So we did find a cab almost immediately (God bless him!) Five minutes into the drive, the driver asks us whether we wished to take the normal route (which I have no clue about since I don't travel in that area that often) or the Sea Link. The moment I heard the words 'SEA LINK' I almost jumped out of the cab yelling "Yes! Yes! That's how we want to go!"

Okay, that was a bit exaggerated, but if there was the slightest chance that I would still be considered sane and normal after THAT in public, I would've actually gone ahead and done it. I don't remember myself to be the kind of person who cares a lot about what others think, but since there was another person with me whose reputation as a human rested on the company he kept, I fought my natural instincts and calmly told Sandeep and the driver that we should probably  take the Sea Link route.

So at the suggestion of the driver, I realised that I hadn't seen the Sea Link (I didn't even remember that the Sea Link existed - so much for being a Mumbaikar) I got the opportunity to not only see the Sea Link closely, but also drive through it!! :) It is a beautiful bridge and I would've enjoyed the whole experience better if the heat wasn't so bad messing my hair up so bad! :P

But the important thing is that I finally, finally, finally drove over it!! :D :D One thing I can cross off my 'things-to-do-before-I-die' list!! :P

I did take pictures, but they are about as good as pictures can be when taken from a moving vehicle. :( So I'm going to keep them for my personal collection, and will share a picture that's already available over the internet. :) The Zemanta assistant to the right of my post editor is tempting me with great pictures!!! Enjoy!

The Bandra-Worli flyover, a new flyover over t...Image via Wikipedia
Bandra-Worli Sea Link as seen from Taj Lands E...Image via Wikipedia