Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day 30

Well, technically it's just day 22 for me because I signed up eight days late, but no one's going to wait for me. I guess I knew this when I started out that it was a death sentence. I may have even mentioned that when I started writing.

It's just a little over three hours left until I can submit my word count, but I am not going to, because when did 10,800 become great when winning the contest required at least 50,000 words. So even though I was on leave today, I didn't write much because I knew there was no way I could reach 50,000. I have decided to take my time, build the story and characters and do this systematically.

But there are a few things that are wonderful about this entire experience. For one, I would've never gotten around to seriously start writing a book although I've always wanted to do that. I had plans to start writing in December, but never did I think that by the end of November I would've completed five whole chapters and written over 10,000 words. So I guess NaNoWriMo got me started.

I know that to win you have to reach the 50,000 mark before midnight, but I don't care so much about  winning. I got into this thinking that if I did manage to reach the target, I'd have the rough draft of a book completed by the end of this month; and if I didn't, then at least I'd be somewhere close. NaNoWriMo was the push I needed to start something beautiful. And now that I've started, I'm going to keep writing till I'm finished. So what if I couldn't meet the deadline and win? I'm still going to be the author of a book. And that makes me happier than anything else ever could.

Also, since I now know that this happens every year in the month of November, next year I can start preparing well in advance so that I don't have to prepare a story line and character sketches eight days after the contest has begun; I can just start writing with a very clear picture in my head.

Good luck to all those who are participating and writing their last thousand words or so! And congratulations to those who've crossed the 50,000 mark! :) :)

- Nikita.