Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2010 - Books, Movies and more...

Again, this post is more or less for me.. to be able to keep a track of the books I read, the movies I saw and other stuff that everyone else may dismiss as totally not-worth-blogging-about. But when I sit back 10 years later  (when I'll be in my thirties but because of the information overload, my brain might react like an eighty year old's) and I would want to know if I've read a particular book or not, or seen a movie or not; I'll have this post to help me out. Laugh all you want, but it may happen to you too. You don't want to watch a movie all the way till the end only to realise that you'd seen it a decade ago and didn't like it even then. This whole thing has a purpose, you see?


So... lets's start with books...
What I read in 2010
1.       2 States - Chetan Bhagat (loved it!!)
2.       Confessions of a Lapdancer - Anonymous 
3.       Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
4.       New Moon - Stephenie Meyer
5.       Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer
6.       Deception Point - Dan Brown
7.       Chicken Soup for the Indian Romantic Soul
8.       Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
9.       Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer
10.   The 13 Problems - Agatha Christie
11.   Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer
12.   And Thereby Hangs a Tale - Jeffrey Archer
13.   A Summer Secret - Kathleen Fuller
14.   Dork: The Incredible Adventures of Robert "Einstein" Verghese - Sidin Vadukut
15.   A Quiver Full of Arrows - Jeffrey Archer
16.   Sons of Fortune - Jeffrey Archer
17.   Angel Song - Sheila Walsh & Kathryn Cushman
18.   Single in the City - Michele Gorman
19.   Sidney Sheldon't After The Darkness - Tilly Bagshawe
20.   You Are Here - Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan
21.   Eat Pray Love - Elizibeth Gilbert 

I started reading Eat Pray Love in October but finished reading it just a few days ago. Not that it's a boring book, I just got distracted toooo many times. If I'd managed to read it at my usual speed, I could've had at least two more books to my credit for 2010. Anyway, I read most of it in 2010 but completed it in 2011. I'm still counting it as read in 2010.

This has led to the creation of a rule.. No book shall be carried forward to the next year. Meaning.. if I start a book, I must finish it before December 31st. And if it seems that I won't be able to finish a book by then, it's better to start it in the new year itself. (Of course, when I started Eat Pray Love I didn't know that I would take more than two months to read it.)

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my reading list because last year I'd read only seven books. This is almost three times last year's score! Yay!! For 2011, I want to target 30. It's manageable as long as I don't take 3 months to read one book. :P


Movies I saw in 2010

No.
Name
Language
Mode
1
Sherlock Holmes
English (E)
Theatre (T)
2
Bridget Jones Diary 2
E
DVD (D)
3
What Just Happened
E
D
4
What Happens in Vegas
E
D
5
Grease
E
TV
6
Juno
E
D
7
National Treasure
E
TV
8
Sidney White
E
D
9
Her Best Move
E
D
10
3 Idiots
Hindi (H)
T
11
Love Aaj Kal
H
D
12
Ishqia
H
T
13
The Reader
E
D
14
The International
E
D
15
4 months 3 weeks and 2 days
German
D
16
Magic in the Water
E
TV
17
Dil Kabbadi
H
D
18
Confessions of a Shopaholic
E
TV
19
Just Married
E
TV
20
Lost and Found
E
TV
21
The Pink Panther 2
E
TV
22
Lonely Hearts
E
D
23
The Pursuit of Happyness
E
D
24
Hitman
E
TV
25
The Proposal
E
TV
26
Click
E
TV
27
Rajneeti
H
T
28
Annie
E
TV
29
Amusement
E
TV
30
Rock On
H
D
31
Cocktail
E
TV
32
Inception
E
T
33
Hush
E
D
34
French Kiss
E
TV
35
No Way Home
E
TV
36
Once Upon A Time in Mumbai
H
T
37
I Love You, Man
E
D
38
Up
E
TV
39
Enemy of the State
E
TV
40
Bride Wars
E
TV
41
Resident Evil - Afterlife (3D)
E
T
42
Step Up 3D (3D)
E
T
43
Night at the Museum 2 - Battle of the Smithsonian
E
TV
44
Knowing
E
TV
45
The Midnight Meat Train
E
TV
46
When in Rome
E
D
47
Taken
E
D
48
Chak De India
H
TV
49
Legally Blonde 2: Red, While and Blonde
E
TV
50
High School Musical 3: Senior Year
E
TV
51
2012
E
TV
52
The Social Network
E
T
53
Billy Madison
E
TV
54
My Last 5 Girlfriends
E
D
55
Robot
H
T
56
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (3D)
E
T
57
The Experiment
E
D
58
Salt
E
D
59
Deception
E
D
60
Vicky Christina Barcelona
E
D
61
You Don't Mess With The Zohan
E
D
62
Euro Trip
E
D
63
Did You Hear About The Morgans
E
T
64
Intolerable Cruelty
E
TV
65
Meet The Fockers
E
TV
66
Indecent Proposal
E
TV
67
Ghosts of a Girlfriend’s Past
E
TV

Again, I’m tempted to make comparisons with last year because last year my social life (and that includes entertainment) pretty much sucked. I saw just 27 movies; which means a movie every two weeks. I was determined to change that ratio and I’m glad that I did!! :) :)

Also, in 2010 I saw a 3D movie for the first time in my life!! And I saw three 3D movies!! Awesome!! :D :D :D

Shows I was hooked to in 2010
Well, my favourite shows (or rather the ones that I have easy access to because I have them on DVD) have always been F.R.I.E.N.D.S and The O.C. (in that order.) In 2010 I discovered that I had a lot of sitcoms on my hard drive that I’d never bothered to watch. So when I was in the never-getting-out-of-my-room phase, there was only so much blog reading I could do because well, other bloggers had a life outside of the blog world even if I didn’t.

So I started off with watching one episode from the first season of every show every night. After a few episodes, I was hooked to certain shows more than the others and wanted to watch them without interruption.

Prison Break for instance, got me so engrossed that I used to stay up till my brain gave away for the night before I could actually turn it off. I just loved the entire story and of course, Michael Scofield (Wentworth Miller) and even Lincoln Burrows (Dominic Purcell.) I managed to watch all four seasons and I really don’t mind watching them again. :D :D

(I think the violence and negativity in the series only aggravated my existing condition, but I guess it was worth it.)

House M.D. is another show that I fell in love with. I can’t get how people get such brilliant ideas. The show is not about the life of doctors, definitely NOT. It’s a medical show – hardcore medical stuff. But they’ve made the show so well that even the common man can understand it, well somewhat. Also, Dr. House’s sarcasm has a charm of his own. And his attitude, Oh-My-God! Love it!! I wasn’t able to get my hands on all the seasons because the show is still running, but I saw whatever I had on my hard drive. Maybe I’ll even buy all the DVDs. Oh! And I crushed on Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) big time!! 

The Joey Show was something I just had to see because I have been such a huge fan of F.R.I.E.N.D.S for sooooo many years. It has only two seasons so it didn’t take much long to finish it. But I loved the comedy. I don’t know why it didn’t run beyond the second season. And if it did, then that’s news to me. I’ll have to watch the third season as well. :P

That 70s Show is simply AWESOME!!! It was on air when I was in school but it was probably good that I didn’t watch it then because I wouldn’t have got the jokes anyway. Natasha and I love it so much that we’ve been hooked since we started watching. We saw the first three seasons in 2010 and are currently watching season 5. Loving it! Ashton Kutcher is a treat to watch even with his silliness and we love the ‘burn’s!! ;)


Music in 2010
I am not going to list all the songs I loved in 2010 but I’m totally going to name the bands… and what the hell… I’ll even name the songs :P

Pink Floyd
Coming Back to Life, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here (more than the other five Pink Floyd songs on my player.)

Porcupine Tree
Lazarus, Sound of Muzak, Blackest Eyes & Piano Lessons.

Linkin Park
(I thought I had graduated from LP, but then their new album totally blew me away)
The Catalyst, Burning in the Skies, Iridescent, Wretches and Kings, Waiting for the End, When They Come for Me – from their new album A Thousand Suns.

Also, Shadow of the Day and What I’ve Done from Minutes to Midnight.

Among others, my favourites during the year have been

1.       The Adventure – Angles and Airwaves
2.       You Might Die Trying – Dave Matthews Band
3.       Love Hurts – Incubus
4.       I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
5.       I’d Rather Be With You – Joshua Radin
6.       Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
7.       Rockstar – Nickelback
8.       Burn It To The Ground – Nickelback
9.       Apologize – One Republic
10.   Windowpane – Opeth
11.   Atonement – Opeth
12.   High & Dry – Radiohead
13.   Never Say Never – The Fray
14.   Fireflies – Owl City
15.   Vanilla Twilight – Owl City
16.   Sing – Travis
17.   Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
18.   So Happy I Could Die – Lady Gaga
19.   Imma Be – Black Eyed Peas
20.   Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
21.   I Can Transform You – Chris Brown
22.   Love Sex Magic – Ciara & Justin Timberlake
23.   I Love The Way – Gabriel Antonio
24.   Tik Tok – Kesha
25.   Lollipop – Mika
26.   Take Your Shirt Off – T-Pain
27.   Morning After Dark – Timbaland feat. SoShy and Nelly Furtado

Games…
I don’t mean those involving running around the building complex or card games either. I’ve grown out of that, into a sillier sort of addiction (for lack of a better word.) In 2009 I spent every free moment (read avoiding my books) playing Free Cell on the computer. 2010 started off with Café World and Social City on Facebook. I gave up Social City pretty quickly because it wasn’t all that interesting. Café world on the other hand was ‘Wow.’ But I had to give that up since it took ages to load once I reached higher levels (I reached level 68 or 69! :D) and because my computer is ancient, playing the game meant not being able to do anything else for at least forty five minutes. So in the interest of my computer and others in the house who planned on actually using it to get something done, I said bye-bye to Café World.

I then started playing Uno on Facebook and few other games on MindJolt (courtesy Facebook.) Uno was pre-dominant when I was in the not-getting-out-of-my-room phase in August-September but then I got bored and stuck to Cube Crash, Ballie Shoot, Gems Swap and Combine on MindJolt Games.

P.S. I’m so glad that I’m finally done with stuff about 2010 because now, I can actually start blogging about 2011. :D :D :D