Thursday, December 8, 2011

Untitled, simply because I can't come up with one

I was half expecting the Blogger login page to say 'Sorry, we don't remember you. Do you have an account with us?' when I logged in because it has been ages since I logged in (duh!) But then I realised Blogger is just a bot and it doesn't care whether you stay in touch or visit or whatever. It'll still let you in as long as you remember your username and password. Thankfully, I didn't have any trouble remembering those.

When I did log in, the first thing I did was, read a few posts from the blogs that I've been following but there have been so many that I could barely manage a fraction of what I missed while I was away. And when I say away, I don't mean that I was disconnected from the internet, I was just disconnected from blogging (and reading blogs, or books. Gosh! I have read just four books this year!! That's a bad record!)
Then, although I wanted to write, I gave my blog a makeover (again!) So those who are reading this on e-mail, hop on over here and see the damn thing! And tell me how beautiful you think it looks. And let me tell you, that I love redesigning this thing so much that it might look different the next time you visit, even if that's a day later than today, so don't be surprised. It'll still be me and my usual stuff that you're going to be able to read because that's not going to change. :D

So, as I was saying, I was almost disconnected from writing (see the archives, and you'll know) but then NaNoWriMo happened and since I was better prepared for it than last year, I decided in the last week of October that I shall give it a go. I must admit I did have trouble writing during the first few days since I hadn't written in a really long time, but then it got better. And what's surprising is that this year, I did manage to write the 50,000 words!! I can proudly say that I am one of the 36,774 people (out of 256,618 participants in 2011) who actually managed the feat. Oh, I can almost hear the applause.

But you know what was more difficult than actually writing the 50,000 words? Writing them without using smileys. I am not kidding. The use of smileys is so common these days (social media, chatting, messages - they're used everywhere) that it's difficult to convey an emotion without adding a smiley at the end. But as I said, it was difficult, not impossible.

So yeah, that's was November was all about - typing mindlessly, drinking loads of coffee and thinking about plot twists (though there aren't many in my book yet.) It was fun, and I can't wait to do it again next year. Actually, to be fair, I don't have to wait till next year because the book isn't complete. So there's still going to be loads of mindless typing, insatiable need for huge cups of coffee and dreams about the twists that I would like to add to the existing plot; but the momentum is going to be a little different. But I can live with that.

In other news, I discovered a new hobby last year that's become a main stream activity for me apart from writing. I started with paper quilling and then went on to discover various techniques to make cards and that's kept me super busy throughout the year. The entire process of making cards is so enchanting that I have been neglecting my writing. But after almost a year of this card making frenzy, I have managed to see a way to strike the much needed balance between the two; even if it means staying up till 6 AM just to write a blog post (although I must admit; writing a post during regular human hours isn't as fascinating and interesting as this. 6 AM posts have their own charm, their own magical feel. They also provide the most chance of being yelled at by my mom for disturbing my body clock, but it's worth the risk.)

So now that the writer in me has had her chance to warm up wth 50,077 words in 30 days; you can expect a little more activity on this little space of mine in this magical world called the 'Internet.'

Links you might find useful after reading this post 
(or not. Mostly not. Well, whatever.)

- My NaNoWriMo Page and a little bit about the novel I'm writing - here
- My Quilling (and card-making) blog - here
- Pictures of the cards I've made - here, here and here

Later! :)